Karate Thoughts Blog


Contents   /   Email  /   Atom  /   RSS  /  

1650+ Posts... and Counting

Relearning Basics

Every time we get a new batch of students in our dojo, I am given the opportunity to relearn my basics. And guess what? I learn something each and every time I teach, and sometimes the points are so fundamental that my basic way of moving is changed.

Of course, I enjoy working on advanced kata with advanced students. But I think that I learn more by teaching basics to beginners.

Last night I was teaching chudan shuto uke. I realized that one of the keys is immediately tucking the back arm as you move forward into the next shuto. It is such a basic thing, but so important. You have to tuck the arm smoothly and with no slack. Then the shuto will be clean, fast, and powerful.

Even after many years, we learn little by little.

Respectfully,

Charles C. Goodin