Karate Thoughts Blog


Contents   /   Email  /   Atom  /   RSS  /  

1650+ Posts... and Counting

Lessons From Fishing

Yesterday, the last day of 2011, I went fishing... and essentially got skunked. It was a beautiful day and I enjoyed it, but no big fish for New Year's lunch.

From time to time, people stop by at my fishing spot. Usually, they wonder what I have caught.

"Catch anything?" they ask.

"Only little," I often reply holding my hands a few inches apart.

And then comes the line. "That's why they call it fishing, not catching."

I smile and agree.

Karate is like that. We think of "Karate" as a noun, but it really should be verb. "Training" is the word that comes closest to the idea. When we say "Karate" we really should say "Training."

Then when we are practicing Karate and a person walks by and says, "Are you a black belt or good yet?", we could say, "That's why they call it training."

I did get a new fishing pole, a 9 foot, medium action Ugly Stick. I can cast much father with it, and am confident that I will catch more and better fish next year. I also received a nice pair of scissors as a gift, which I am using when I make my rigs.

But whatever the result may be, I will be fishing and training.

Respectfully,

Charles C. Goodin