Karate Thoughts Blog


Contents   /   Email  /   Atom  /   RSS  /  

1650+ Posts... and Counting

My Best Student

I have written about this before, but it deserves repeating.

My best student is the student I am teaching. The only caveat to this is that the student must be trying. I have very little time for a student who does not try, but almost unlimited time and effort for a student who sincerely tries.

I try to teach a beginner how to punch, block and kick with the same attention to detail and enthusiasm as when I teach an advanced student or instructor. And I learn a lot in both cases. In fact, I often learn more when I am teaching beginners. When I am teaching the fundamentals, any new realizations or discoveries will have a major impact on everything I do.

I believe that all students are special. Honestly, I think that a teacher is very lucky to have a good student. A student is lucky to have a good teacher, but I think that the teacher is actually luckier. For a teacher, passing on the art is almost a biological imperative.

My best student is the student I am teaching. And because I learn by teaching, if my student is the best I am also learning from the best.

Respectfully,

Charles C. Goodin