Karate Thoughts Blog


Contents   /   Email  /   Atom  /   RSS  /  

1650+ Posts... and Counting

Pinan Yondan - Part 6

With your right arm/hand, you execute a jodan shuto uke (upper or high knife hand block) or jodan shuto uchi (upper or high knife hand strike) to the front. Because you have turned to the left (without turning), it might seem that the high block/strike is to your right (from the point of view of the left). But from the starting position, you are blocking straight up, to the front.

Almost any movement can be executed as a block or a strike. In kata, I execute almost all movements as strikes.

So with my right hand, I am striking, not blocking. Typically, I visualize that I am striking up under the attacker's jaw or hitting the neck when I execute a jodan shuto uke.

With any shuto, you can hit with the side of your hand. But typically, I am hitting with the side of my forearm (radius). That way, after I hit, I can quickly grab. When you hit with the side of the hand, it might be more difficult to grab. Also, I feel that I can strike very hard with my radius, which has become conditioned over the years. Plus, I am pretty boney.

In addition, when I hit with my radius, the position of my hand is more forward. My striking point is in line with my sechusen (vertical center line). Since I have turned my head, this is in line with my right ear (approximately). So, my the striking point on my radius is in line with my right ear. If the striking point was on the edge of my hand, my right arm would be too far back (to the right). This is just my opinion.

And, of course, you could be striking with your elbow, or a combination of the above.

But one point I want to make is that I am not blocking or striking up the the left. Sometimes I see people turn their shoulders completely to the left and execute the jodan movement overhead... to the left. This seems awkward to me. Again, this is just my opinion. Plus, if you do this, it will take a long time to turn all the way to the right for the next movement.

When you turn to the left without turning, it will be very fast to turn to the right without turning.

We execute most movements in hanmi, naihanchi, or something like that.

Respectfully,

Charles C. Goodin