Karate Thoughts Blog


Contents   /   Email  /   Atom  /   RSS  /  

1650+ Posts... and Counting

Transgendered Student

I have previously written that I would teach a gay student the same as any other student, and that a gay student would be equally welcomed in our dojo.

I have the same feelings and policy about transgendered students. They are equally welcomed in our dojo, and I would teach them the same as any other student.

I try to address the unique strengths and weaknesses of each student. That is not a matter of gender (or sexual orientation) to me, so much as it is a matter of physical conditions (height, weight, reach, speed, physical conditioning, etc.).

Our dojo is like a family. And like the early Karate dojo here in Hawaii, if anyone messes with a student in our dojo, they are messing with all of us. I guess you can tell that I was a Kenpo student and instructor first.

One of the most important things a Sensei can do is to be accepting and supportive of students... and then to make them extremely skilled.

Now, what would I do if I accepted a transgendered student and all my other students quit? Then I would have one good student! But knowing my students, that would not happen.

Respectfully,

Charles C. Goodin