Karate Thoughts Blog


Contents   /   Email  /   Atom  /   RSS  /  

1650+ Posts... and Counting

Flashlight as a Weapon

My friend Jim Alexander mentioned the use of a flashlight as weapon. I know that some people purchase flashlights for this reason and also train in such use. Some flashlights come with a strobe or flashing feature that can temporarily blind an attacker.

My comments about flashlights are limited to their use for safety, basically for illumination. I do not teach their use in self defense -- but I am open to the idea.

However, I do advocate the use of anything available in self defense situations -- a folding chair, backpack, umbrella, pen... whatever is available. Please keep in mind that I view Karate as something to be used as a last resort only. In that situation, the use of improvised weapons would be appropriate.

Respectfully,

Charles C. Goodin