Karate Thoughts Blog


Contents   /   Email  /   Atom  /   RSS  /  

1650+ Posts... and Counting

Polite and Unassuming

My paralegal and I were discussing a Karate student today. We both felt that this student was very impressive because of the following -- besides being technically excellent, this student is polite and unassuming.

We also feel that this student is very humble, but that sort of comes under unassuming.

If you are a student, people might be talking about you. Sure it counts if you are strong and do well in class. Sure it counts if you are advanced and help teach. There are many ways to measure success.

But are you polite and unassuming?

I am impressed by students who are polite and unassuming, and I am distressed by students who are not. Character first, then technique.

I will let you in on a little secret -- the same applies to instructors.

Respectfully,

Charles C. Goodin