Karate Thoughts Blog


Contents   /   Email  /   Atom  /   RSS  /  

1650+ Posts... and Counting

Still a Puppy

I was speaking to one of my senior friends today, a Sensei of Aikido. At some point, I mentioned my age (52), and he said, "Sensei, you're still a puppy."

It is great to practice something in which being 52 makes you "still a puppy." In so many sports and other activities, people are old at 30 (or even younger). But in the martial arts, we are still puppies, still learning a lot in our 50s. We continue to learn and improve in the martial arts as long as we practice.

My good friend and senior, Sensei Pat Nakata, often says that we must refine our movements. It is not just practicing the same thing over and over -- it is to constantly seek improvement.

Respectfully,

Charles C. Goodin