Karate Thoughts Blog


Contents   /   Email  /   Atom  /   RSS  /  

1650+ Posts... and Counting

Benched 300!

Sorry, it was not me... it was my third son, Cael, who yesterday benched 300.

Cael started working out seriously about 2 years ago and has been very disciplined about it. He now weighs about 175, and I have seen his strength steadily increase. He is one of those guys who lifts much more than it would appear he could. Part of this is that he does not give up -- he does not let pain or exhaustion stop him.

Since I started lifting almost 3 years ago, I have come to appreciate when I see a person in really good shape. I recognize how much hard work goes into it. My sons and I lift almost every day. You have to be dedicated to the lifestyle. I also know of people who lift for bodybuilding competitions. They also have to watch their diet all the time.

I am very proud of Cael because he has found something he really enjoys and has stuck with it. The strength he has gained by working out has also helped him a great deal with his Karate training and especially his Ju Jitsu training.

And I believe that if you can be dedicated to one thing, you can use that to be dedicated to other things -- like work. If you work hard to bench 300, you should also be able to do a great job at work. If you will not stop because of pain or exhaustion at the gym, you should be able to keep going at work, even when others might give up.

And if you can lift 300 pounds, you should also be able to pick up the clothes in your room or the leaves in the yard, no? I say this because sometimes I see Karate students who will eagerly sweep and mop the dojo, but do nothing to help at home. Don't be a hypocrite -- if you clean the dojo you should also clean your home.

So right now, I can bench 200, my second son can bench about 250, and my third son can bench 300. Seems like the younger generation is getting stronger and stronger!

But still, my arm gets sore carrying my four month old granddaughter! I guess that shows that it is sometimes easier to lift a heavy weight once, than to carry a lighter weight for a long time.

Respectfully,

Charles C. Goodin