Karate Thoughts Blog


Contents   /   Email  /   Atom  /   RSS  /  

1650+ Posts... and Counting

Annual Sugar Cunsumption

How much sugar do you think the average person consumes in the United States each year:

  1. 7 pounds
  2. 25 pounds
  3. 150 pounds
  4. 1 ton
Actually, I could not find a current answer, but in the 1990s, the answer was about 150 pounds! Remember that just one Pepsi each day would add up to about 33 pounds in a year.

And I am not sure if that 150 pound figure is for total sugar (including sugar naturally occurring in foods) or just added sugar.

How much sugar does your body need to be healthy? Have you ever thought about it? Think back to the food charts you had to study in school. I don't think that sugar was one of the food groups.

I also understand that carbohydrates, such a bread and rice, are converted to sugar in the body. I don't think that such converted sugars are included in the 150 pound figure.

I have tried to cut out all sugar in my drinks -- except for a little fruit juice, which I dilute. But that was just the start. Last weekend I did a strange thing (for me). I did not put syrup on my pancakes, because it just tasted too sweet. I used to pour the syrup on my pancakes all the time. Now it is too much.

So less sugar is my new motto. There has also been an unexpected benefit -- we have less soda cans to recycle. I brew my tea, which means there are no bottles to deal with. And that means that fewer cans or bottles have to be made in the first place.

For me, it all comes down to control. As a Karate student, I try to become skilled and get into good shape. Controlling my diet is just as important as training regularly. If I can't control my sugar intake, then how strong am I? Am I just a victim to a sweet tooth? If I can train hard in Karate, then I can watch my diet too.

By the way, if the 150 pound figure is right, that means that an average person would consume 1,500 pounds in ten years. I don't know about you, but at my age, 10 years seem to go by pretty quickly.

Respectfully,

Charles C. Goodin