Karate Thoughts Blog


Contents   /   Email  /   Atom  /   RSS  /  

1650+ Posts... and Counting

No Koshi Makes Better Koshi

When I teach beginners, I have to be careful not to show koshi. I have to keep the movements simple and linear. If I show koshi, the new students will try to copy it before they are ready to do so. This will corrupt their movement and lead to bad habits and mistakes. Linear movement must come first.

It is my job not to use koshi when teaching beginners.

Strangely (or perhaps not so strangely), the less I use koshi, the nicer my koshi has become. One reason might be that my koshi has become smaller and more internalized.

But I think that another reason is that by practicing linear movement, I have been improving my basics. Just because I had studied Shorin-Ryu for many years before I started to learn koshi does not mean that my linear basics were good or optimized. I learned koshi with a certain understanding of linear basics. There is always more to learn.

So, when I spend time with beginners not using my koshi, an unexpected benefit has been that my movement has improved, both with koshi and without.

There are several ways to generate power. Koshi it only one "spin" on the subject. It is an important part of an overall process. If you can improve the other parts of that process, your overall power generation will improve.

It seems that the move advanced I become (relatively speaking), the more I learn by teaching beginners! So so so!

Respectfully,

Charles C. Goodin