Karate Thoughts Blog


Contents   /   Email  /   Atom  /   RSS  /  

1650+ Posts... and Counting

Weight Placement and Pivoting -- Part 7

So that, in a nutshell, is how to move on the center of your feet.

I find it easiest to teach this to my students when they are practicing bo (Yamani-Ryu bojutsu). The bo gives the students a greater appreciation and recognition of the centerline. When you move off the centerline, the bo pulls (like a gyroscope). Hmmm, the bo does spin like a gyroscope.

I cannot emphasize enough that movement and koshi are connected. They are not two things.

When I initially drop, I do not just relax my knees. My koshi is connect to my knees. It is as if my left lat (latissimus dorsi) is connect to my right knee and vice versa. In order to bend my knees to drop, my lats will pull on my knees. This is not simultaneous. I will pull on the knees one after the other, not at the same time. In this way, there is greater potential for direction.

We almost never do two things at the same time. Two things that appear to be simultaneous usually are not.

My lats pull on the opposite knees. This creates a tension in my koshi and this tension is usable.

The energy used to "drop" creates energy for movement and striking (or blocking). One thing fuels the other. And the strike (or block) also creates energy for another technique or movement. One movement fuels the next. It is like perpetual motion, but not quite.

This will complete this subject, which is a brief overview. I must admit that I have only begun to be able to express this in words in the last few weeks. I could move like this, but could not come up with the proper words to describe it.

I am the type of person who needs to be able to articulate something. I do not like to teach by example only. I like to combine example with explanation.

Some students respond well to a physical example. Some need words. Some need "hands on" to put them in the right positions.

I also want to add that I have not made this up. I am not that talented. I am very fortunate to have an excellent Sensei who has taken a great deal of time to show me how to move and generate power. I am one of those students who needed an example, words, and hands on to bend me into position. In short, I was probably the most difficult type of student... but I keep working on the things that I learn.

If I have described things correctly then it is to the credit of my Sensei. If I have described things incorrectly, it is entirely my fault.

OK, try this. Stand as if you are about to shoot a free throw in basketball. When you bend you knees and bring the ball close to your chest --- MOVE!

Respectfully,

Charles C. Goodin