Karate Thoughts Blog


Contents   /   Email  /   Atom  /   RSS  /  

1650+ Posts... and Counting

Teaching Structure

Someone asked me today why I retired from my dojo/teaching. He was referring to my appointment of my second son as the head of our Hikari Dojo. I had been the head of the dojo since 1997.

I am 50. My second son is only 22. I could have waited.

But really, nothing has changed. I am the same person. My son is the same person. The only thing that has changed is that he is primarily responsible for making dojo decisions. He has to plan what is best for the students. I am there to assist him and I teach just as much as before.

I did not want to be attached to the usual format of teaching in Karate. I did not want to wait until I was 60, 70 or 80 to give someone else the responsibility and opportunity to lead a dojo. I did not want to stunt my son or other other seniors in the dojo.

I have not retired or resigned. I am more active in Karate then ever.

Respectfully,

Charles C. Goodin