Karate Thoughts Blog


Contents   /   Email  /   Atom  /   RSS  /  

1650+ Posts... and Counting

Setting Your Mind

I did not want to write about this until the new year. Last year in July or so, when my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer, I decided to start working out more. There were two reasons for this. First, it was a way to handle the stress I should say STRESS). Second, it was a way to stay in good shape. I knew that it would be a difficult time and I did not want to become weak.

I also did not want to become sick. When my wife started chemotherapy, it was extremely important that I not become sick, because I could get her sick. During chemotherapy, a little thing like a cold could become very serious and even require hospitalization. It could also disrupt her treatment.

So I worked out (Karate, lifting weights, and riding an exercise bike) and the good news was that I did not get sick at all and neither did my wife. During this same time, all four of our children and close relatives caught colds and other illnesses. My paralegal also got sick. I usually catch a cold or two, but this time I didn't.

My point is that I think that if you set your mind on something, you can do it. I think that it is possible to avoid getting sick. It is possible to set your mind on getting in shape. If you really try, you can do many things.

My wife is now done with chemotherapy. It is still important for us to keep her healthy and to avoid colds and other illnesses. I am continuing to work out so that I can remain strong and healthy and better able to help my wife with the remainder of her treatments.

During high school when I trained with Florentino S. Pancipanci, I remember that he said that we should get angry at ourselves if we became sick. Remaining healthy was part of our training. If we became sick, we could not work or attend training.

I thought that this was strange because I believed illnesses to be something that just happened. It was not something that we could control.

That was over 30 years ago, but I have realized that Mr. Pancipanci was right. We should believe that our health is also part of our training and under our control. We train to block punches and kicks. We should also train to remain healthy.

Getting in the best shape possible will help us to avoid many illnesses and enable us to do the things that we need to do. The first step is to set your mind on it.

Respectfully,

Charles C. Goodin