Karate Thoughts Blog


Contents   /   Email  /   Atom  /   RSS  /  

1650+ Posts... and Counting

Chemotherapy & Breast Cancer

Last month I mentioned that my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer. It has been a very challenging time since then and we have attended a seemingly countless number of appointments and tests. Earlier this week, my wife began chemotherapy. Her treatment regimen is actually a bit complicated, but suffice it to say that she is scheduled to complete chemo around Christmas. She will have other treatments for the next year, but the chemo will be the most difficult phase.

My wife is also an instructor in my dojo. I wish that I could say that her Karate training has made her as tough as she is, but I think it has more to do with her giving birth to and raising our four children. She had four C-sections, and never complained. She is so tough. I, on the other hand, complain when I get a simple blood test or flu shot.

You might have noticed that I have been writing more this month. Now that her treatment has begun, our schedule is actually better. Fortunately, her oncologist has an office in the same building as our offices (legal and travel). So she only has to run down to the third floor for her treatment. It is still hard, but at least we do not have to spend time in traffic.

We also have a new crop of students in our dojo. New students always get me thinking (and writing).

My wife and I have tried to learn as much as possible about her cancer and the available treatment options. Two websites we have found to be very helpful are:

breastcancer.org

and

Susan G. Komen For the Cure

I'm sure that there are many other helpful websites, but these helped us a lot.

Respectfully,

Charles C. Goodin