Karate Thoughts Blog


Contents   /   Email  /   Atom  /   RSS  /  

1650+ Posts... and Counting

Teaching Karate Series

I am going to begin a series of posts about teaching Karate. I know that it may sound presumptuous for me to write such a series, but I want to not only share my thoughts about the subject, but the lessons and ideas of my many teachers (in Karate and other martial arts).

I started teaching Karate on my own at the age of 17 (32 years ago), which was way too early. However, the process of teaching also teaches the teacher - in other words, you learn a lot by teaching. This is so true, that I believe that you cannot learn Karate unless you teach it.

As the old saying goes, you learn half from your teacher and the other half by teaching.

This series will be aimed at a hypothetical new teacher -- someone who has either formed a dojo or class or taken over responsibility for teaching in an existing dojo or class.

Respectfully,

Charles C. Goodin