Karate Thoughts Blog

Contents   /   Email  /   Atom  /   RSS  /  

1700+ Posts... and Counting


I received an email addressing my last post, Chambering The Fist, in which I mentioned that I am not aware of the Japanese term for chambering. A reader suggested that the term is hikite.

I understand hikite to mean the pulling hand, rather than the chambering position (the alignment of the pulling hand along the side of the body). I agree that hikite broadly refers to a pulling or returning hand. I just don't know what the term for chambering might be.

Again, I never heard the term chambering when I started to learn Karate. It sounds like a military term to me (possibly gun related).

Thank you again for the input.


Charles C. Goodin