What do you do when there is a movement in a kata that does not make sense to you? Here is what I do (not in any order).
- Ask my sensei what it means.
- Ask my Karate friends in other styles what it means.
- Check out meanings in books, videos, DVDs, etc.
- Think about similar movements in our system in other kata or drills.
- Think about similar movements in other martial arts.
- Sleep on it.
My point is that our appreciation of movements grows as we do. Don't dismiss a movement too early, particularly when you have only trained for a few years. Give it time.
A movement might not look like a takedown, unless you realize that you are holding the attackers ears!
Charles C. Goodin