Karate Thoughts Blog


Contents   /   Email  /   Atom  /   RSS  /  

1650+ Posts... and Counting

Teachers are People

Sometimes a person will tell me that their sensei is a black belt. I imagine a black belt (a physical object) teaching them.

Sometimes a person will tell me that their sensei is a hanshi. I imagine a hanshi certificate teaching them.

Sometimes a person will tell me that their sensei is a champion. I imagine a trophy teaching them.

Sometimes a person will tell me that they train at a magnificent dojo. I imagine a building teaching them.

Sometimes a person will tell me that they belong to a large organization. I imagine administrators teaching them.

Sometimes a person will tell me that their sensei is a master. I wonder why anyone would want to have a master over them? I value freedom. I don't want a master or king or emperor telling me what to do.

I am really impressed when a person tells me that their sensei is a great person.

Being skilled at Karate is meaningless unless a sensei is also skilled at humanity.

Respectfully,

Charles C. Goodin