Karate Thoughts Blog


Contents   /   Email  /   Atom  /   RSS  /  

1650+ Posts... and Counting

Karate: What I Do

Although I am an attorney by profession, I spend quite a bit of time practicing, teaching, writing, researching, interviewing, etc. about Karate. One of the Okinawan history researchers here in Hawaii called me "Karate bakka (crazy)." He explained that he was "Okinawan history bakka."

But I always try to keep in mind that Karate is something that I do, it is not who I am. Karate is an activity, a thing, a study, an object. It is not a living thing in and of itself. You could say that Karate comes alive when it is practiced. But that is romantic. Karate is an art, a skill. It is not a person.

We do not learn Karate from Karate. We learn from people, from our sensei.

I am a father, a husband, a son, a brother, a worker, an employer, a friend... many things. Being a Karate student and teacher is also an important part of my life -- because I enjoy it. Karate makes me happy. I think that being happy makes me healthier and a better person. I also hope that Karate training helps me to age more gracefully. In a year and a half I will be fifty. In Okinawa, a fifty year old instructor is still considered young.

There are many excellent reasons to practice Karate. I have met many inspiring people during my training. I look up to my Sensei (in Karate and other arts). Still, Karate is something that I do, not who I am.

Respectfully,

Charles C. Goodin