Karate Thoughts Blog


Contents   /   Email  /   Atom  /   RSS  /  

1650+ Posts... and Counting

Guest Post: Learning to Persevere

This Guest Post is by Jennifer Takahashi, a ten year old student in the Hikari Dojo. Her father, David, is a nidan and assistant instructor. Jeniffer's mother, brother and sister also practice with her in the dojo.

- - - - - - - - - -

Once, on a day when I had Karate practice, I did not feel like going because I was lazy. My Dad said to me, "You should push yourself instead of giving up so quickly." After I heard that, I let it sink in and thought about it. When the time came to leave later on that day, I reminded myself of what my Dad had said and pushed myself to go. I enjoyed class that day and was glad I went.

The next day, I had to wake up at 3:45 a.m. I also take piano lessons and we have a concert where a group of us would play. A television station wanted to show an example for the 6:00 a.m. news and my group was chosen, so that's why I had to get up so early.

When that was finished, I was very tired and wanted to rest. But when I got home and lay down on my bed, I couldn't sleep because my younger sibling was very loud and noisy. Unfortunately, on that same day, I had a make-up class for gymnastics for two hours in the afternoon. I was again so tired.

But I remembered what my Dad said the day before and how I felt after I went and I pushed myself to go. Like with Karate, gymnastics was fun and I was glad I went.

So now whenever I feel lazy or tired, I focus on what I will learn after the activity and that makes me want to go.

Jennifer Takahashi