Karate Thoughts Blog


Contents   /   Email  /   Atom  /   RSS  /  

1650+ Posts... and Counting

My Writing Mentor: Wayne Muromoto

I have written many Karate articles. I've actually lost track of the number.

Today I met Wayne Muromoto at my office and got to show him some of the Hawaii Karate Museum's collection. You might know that Wayne is the publisher and editor of one of the finest martial arts magazines ever published: Furyu: the Budo Journal.

I met Wayne in 1996. At that time, I was a student at the Aiea Taiheiji Matsubayashi-Ryu dojo of Sensei William H. Rabacal. Wayne came to the dojo and wrote an article entitled Karate for a "Better Human Being." William H. Rabacal and Matsubayashi Ryu Karate. My photo appears in the article, as does a photo of my third son, Cael. This was the premier issue of the magazine.

Anyway, I helped to supply some information to Wayne about the dojo. During our conversations, he encouraged me to write an article. To that point, I had never written an article about Karate. Honestly, I did not feel qualified to do so. But Wayne kept urging me to write. The result was Tengu: The Legendary Mountain Goblins of Japan, which appeared in issue 2. It wasn't exactly about Karate, but it was a start. I later helped Wayne with the Furyu website and wrote several more articles.

That was 10 years ago. I owe my Karate writing "hobby" to Wayne. If he had not encouraged me to write, I might never had started. If you have ever read any of my articles and enjoyed them or learned something, it is thanks to Wayne.

You will notice that I occassionally have guest authors in this blog. Some are already well known Karate writers. But some are writing here for the first time. This is my way to encourage Karate writers, the way that Wayne encouraged me.

We all have experiences to share about our Karate training. Our perspectives differ and reflect the vastness of the art. You do not have to be a "master" to write -- you just have to honest.

I don't think that Wayne thought that his encouragement would lead to the formation of the Hawaii Karate Museum. But it did. Writing articles was a way for me to let people in Hawaii know that I was serious about Karate research. After several years, people began to donate their husband's or father's Karate book and photo collections to me. The museum was created to preserve these collections, and it has steadily grown.

Sometimes the little things we do lead to big things. Please remember that the next time you have the opportunity to encourage a student. Who knows what great things they might accomplish?

Thank you Wayne!

Respectfully,

Charles C. Goodin