Karate Thoughts Blog


Contents   /   Email  /   Atom  /   RSS  /  

1650+ Posts... and Counting

Self Respect

A few minutes ago, my daughter and I were walking outside the building in which my law office is located. She noticed a man smoking. He works in a pharmacy. She said to me, "doesn't it seem strange that someone who works in a pharmacy would smoke?"

I said, "he must not respect himself." "If someone tried to stab him with a needle that would inject tar and nicotene into his system, he sure would resist. But he freely does the same thing to himself."

In Karate, respect should start with ourselves. It doesn't make sense to work on perfecting kata and character while neglecting our own bodies. We should work to have healthy bodies. This, in turn, will enable us to do better in activities such as Karate. It will also help us to age better and resist illnesses and disease.

Respect yourself and respect others.

Respectfully,

Charles C. Goodin