Karate Thoughts Blog


Contents   /   Email  /   Atom  /   RSS  /  

1650+ Posts... and Counting

Omiyage On Return

I described omiyage (a thoughtful gift) in Never Go Empty Handed.

Yesterday at class, one of my students brought an omiyage. He had been on a trip to Las Vegas and brought some delicious trail mix that he had purchased there. This was a very courteous thing to do.

It is not only courteous to bring an omiyage when you visit someone's home or dojo, it is courteous to bring an omiyage when you return to your own dojo.

When I went to Okinawa, I brought Hawaii products for my sensei and the students there. When I returned to Hawaii, I brought Okinawan products for my sensei and students here.

Again, the idea is for the omiyage to be thoughtful, not expensive.

Respectfully,

Charles C. Goodin