Karate Thoughts Blog


Contents   /   Email  /   Atom  /   RSS  /  

1650+ Posts... and Counting

My Skilled Friend

One of my friends is a martial arts instructor. From time to time I will stop and tell him that he is more skilled than me (which he is).

He always smiles and says that I still have time to improve (he is a few years older than me).

There is no shame in being less skilled than someone. The shame is in not trying to improve yourself.

The other day I was watching a television show featuring a popular Hawaiian singer. As I watched, I realized that his musical skills were also superior to my Karate.

We should not only compare ourselves to other martial artists, we should compare ourselves to other skilled people. Art is art, whether martial or otherwise.

As I mentioned elsewhere in this blog, Jigoro Kano is reported to have said that what's important is not that you are better than someone else but that you are better than yesterday. If you seek continual improvement, you will become the best you can be.

But still, it would be nice to catch up with my friend. The thing is that he too is always seeking to improve himself. Lucky for me we are friends!

Respectfully,

Charles C. Goodin