Karate Thoughts Blog


Contents   /   Email  /   Atom  /   RSS  /  

1650+ Posts... and Counting

Karate and Religion

At the beginning and end of class we sit mokuso. Essentially we sit in the seiza position and clear our minds for a short while.

I always emphasize that we are not doing Zen or saying prayers. We are simply sitting to quiet our minds so that we can develop a keener sense of awareness.

I believe that it is important to keep Karate and religion completely separate. I should not impose my religious beliefs on my students.

Karate teaches a code of conduct and a way of non-violence. It develops character and self-desicipline. These are not religious in nature.

There is a saying that when confronted we should turn the other cheek. I believe that this is a good example of tai sabaki.

Respectfully,

Charles C. Goodin